Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What Color Is Your Parachute - Intuition and Step by Step

Time to think!



In Chapter 2 of the book, there's discussion of setting out to search for a job based on thinking about what kind of approach you tend to take in life: by luck, step by step, or intuition. And on page 29 (in the 2011 edition), there's a chart at the end of the chapter that helps you to identify "next steps".

So I think I probably fit into the "Intuition" area, but I also see the value of going step by step. As a person with a creative background, I have room to grow with discipline; I've known plenty of creative people with a great deal of discipline, working hard in their field to achieve. But it can also be the case that you can spend a lot of time with ideas and visions, and then not accomplish much, because of spending so much time in the (comfortable) realm of the imagination.

So I'd say that I greatly value intuition, but want to continue to grow in step by step - and this book has a lot of wisdom in it, and in a situation where I do want to find long-term, sustainable work, with a mortgage payment due, student loans around the corner, etc. - I do believe that working through this book can offer the best possible chance for finding work. So i think that it's worth placing your faith in, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Because I fall into both categories, I'm going to think about which of the "Intuition" areas I fall into first. In this section of the book, the author invites an "intuitive" person to consider,

"What kind of footprint do you want to leave here on this earth, after your journey here is done?"

And there are a series of suggested categories, which might be areas of concern/interest:

Mind, Body, Eyes/Beauty, Heart, Conscience, Spirit, Entertainment, Possessions/Simplicity, The Earth

Each area has some discussion and description, and it's an opportunity to consider what you are drawn to.

These are the areas that stood out to me, that seem to fit:

Body: I do think it's ridiculously important to try and make the world better, and because of my worldview, I do consider my neighbor to be my responsibility; I do answer yes to the question: "am I my brother's keeper?" -- from a sense of wanting to grow in love. This area touches on health, feeding the poor. I don't see myself being a health trainer or doctor, but I do feel like part of the "footprint I want to leave on the earth" in some peoples' lives, is to help them explore ways to make the world better. So I guess the Body is one of my "areas". This area relates to a project I'm working on, called xCredits - I'd like to see if it's possible to help simplify the process of sharing, by helping people explore organizations, and giving them a way to share with "points" - www.xcredits.net

Heart: I would like to work towards inciting passion, compassion. I'm not sure if this means supporting organizations that do this type of work, or working for one, but it is an area of interest/concern.

Entertainment: true enough; I've really enjoyed participating in projects that have brought laughter or joy. It's a dream I've had, and for awhile, I lived the dream full-time, in a past life in rock n roll -- and when we didn't have a hit radio single, I felt like I had to move on. But the most joy I've had truthfully has been in making albums and videos. Not sure this is a career, but to put my money where my mouth is, I guess I need to "keep this on the radar". And perhaps it will at least be a creative outlet. Probably part of the process in thinking through these is giving yourself the freedom to think about where your heart is really at -- and not closing the door on yourself, but allowing yourself to dream.

The Earth: this is a theme too, I suppose. My interest in the environment is more about sunflowers and appreciation of nature than anything else, but it does seem that things are out of balance, and that the things we've put into the environment have come back and affected our bodies. Just about a month or two ago my Aunt Joan passed away from cancer, and I can't help but think that it may very well have been affected by toxins that we put into the environment, and end up back in our bodies, through food. So yeah, even though I'm somewhat apolitical, I guess I do care about the Earth, because it comes back to affect people, and their health, and families. So if I could do something to help bring balance to the earth, that would be cool.

--

So those are the "Intuition Areas" for me. The best thing to dig into them a bit is to read the book.

As for "Step by Step" -- I guess that will be later on; the author discusses how the "Flower Exercise" can help you work through step by step considerations, like thinking about transferrable skills, and making a plan to find work or find more fulfilling work or both. Frankly I think everyone should probably go through the "step by step" process. But if you're like me and have an intuitive side, I think working through the areas mentioned above makes sense.

Best wishes!

--
If this article has been interesting, I invite you to consider doing one or more of the following:
  1. Buy a copy of the book for you, a friend, or someone you love. It's reasonably priced, and very much worth reading. Maybe even invest by buying two copies - it's most valuable when you work through it with someone else (talk once a week). Your career is one of the most important things in your life. it's worth investing in. Amazon link
  2. Visit the JobLife Facebook page, and click the Like button, to receive updates when new posts are made
  3. Make a post on Facebook about how the book/blog triggered thought/inspired you. For example: "Check out this blog; it talks about a helpful book, What Color Is Your Parachute, which can help anyone to find a job, or more fulfilling work, or both."