Sunday, May 17, 2009

III - Holding a Child

This poem was written in May of 2008 - I ended up putting in a sequence with 3 other poems, a sequence of darkness, healing and wanting to heal others. | This poem came from a dream I had of holding a child in hell, and the child reached up and touched my forehead.

---

Holding a Child

I want to go into: Sudan, Palestine, Bosnia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan

I want to go to hell, and bring some heaven along
I'm going with humility, to learn, to listen to the song

Sitting at the top of the heirarchy of needs
I stood at the cliff in a stiff winter breeze
Jumped off the top and dove down deep
I pray the lord my soul to keep

suffering suffering all around
but someone to love can always be found
the worm that wandered into the street
the child that is starving at my feet

everyone just wants to be held
so I held the child I found in hell
they touched my forehead and opened my eyes
as the death squad lost us to heavenly cries